Logo Wishlist [Yet Again]

 I've made a lot of cards for this blog...A LOT of cards. I believe I've backed up the "Obsession" claim I make in the site's name. It helps that baseball has a long and rich history, with lots of teams over the time. And all these teams have changed their look over the eras. It makes for a fun variety of looks for each card...however...The Showdown Bot does not account for all those different logos in every teams history. And because I'm neurotic, I try to avoid using the wrong logo or picture for the card. A few examples of my inanity:
-I made an update scheduled for later this year about the 1994 strike season. I made a bunch of cards for some of the most notable players of that season. That particular season, MLB was celebrating their 100th season, commemorating it with a special patch every team wore on their sleeve that season.
-I check Sportslogos.net with just about every card I made, just in case a team had a special patch or uniform variant for that season. Someone play in 1995 for the Braves? His picture better feature that 30th anniversary patch. 1994 Astros? Astrodome patch. 1927 Cardinals? They had their special "World Champion" uniforms. And God forbid a team hosts an all star game that season, because now everyone has a special all star game patch. Not only does it mean I need to find the right picture of a player for the right season, but also never to use the wrong picture for an incorrect season.
-It's why I love making the Hall of Fame series, because it doesn't matter what uniform or variant is in his picture, I just gotta make sure it's the actual guy.

Anyway, none of the above is a true dealbreaker for making cards (unless you're Rick Wilkins when he played for the Cardinals) it just makes it a bit tougher to make some cards, but I enjoy the process so it's no big deal. A real deal breaker for my obsession is when the Bot doesn't have the proper logo for a particular year. My goal is to generate cards that would fit in if those cards were available for the years indicated. If I opened a pack of baseball cards from 2001, I expect a Tampa Bay player to feature the proper Devil Rays logo of the time, not the modern Rays look. That's the logic in my brain when I make a card.

Anyway, this little rant is wearing on. All I'm saying is that the lack of the proper logo is holding back more than a few ideas I want to pursue on this site. Some of these logos are featured below, along with an explanation when necessary for cards and series that are on hold...
I will post this to the main page and update accordingly in the future rather than make new posts about it...


The New York Yankees are pretty easy. They have the iconic NY logo that goes all the way back to their beginning, and the classic primary logo that's nearly unchanged. BUT, before they were Yankees, they were known as the Highlanders, and while in that time they introduced the NY logo, it wasn't always the style.
There are numerous Highlanders/Yankees content I could do if only the proper Highlanders logo was available, ranging from the 1904 team that almost won the pennant to a collection of team captains, or perhaps I just want to highlight Jack Chesbro's record 41 Wins season. All are waiting on a simple acknowledgment of the original AL NY franchise.
Priority: High



All but one Orioles logo is available in the Bot, so this is one of many instances of me being petty. But, it's an idea of mine to highlight when teams had short stints with interesting choices for a logo/uniform, like when the Orioles shortly made black a prominent color over their classic orange. Problem is when wanting to highlight obscure logos is the Bot has to at least know about them.
Priority: Low




There's just a single season when Boston went quite literal with how much they embraced their sock motif. Humorous, but not exactly vital.
Priority: Low



The current representation of the Tampa Bay Rays is strangely absent. I usually stray away from doing current years, but I also feel it's important to at the very least have up to date logos at the ready.
Priority: High




Most versions of Chief Wahoo are available, but a notable exception is the version that was there when Cleveland last won the World Series. Not at the top of my to-do list, but I'd still like to cover that team.
Priority: High



The White Sox won a World Series with that look, and I'd like to have it available for when I cover that team, as well as the proper logo for the Black Sox team of 1919.
Priority: High




The Tigers are like the Yankees where they've had a very consistent look over the years. This is one look the Bot doesn't have that Ty Cobb played under.
Priority: Low




I've mentioned this before, but the Royals have had a look that seems like it never changes but actually features multiple tweaks over their history. This original look is one such example.
Priority: Low




The Twins are another team that has recently changed their current logo and the Bot doesn't recognize it yet. Not only that, but this is also valid for their early years where the Bot also doesn't have a proper logo in place. This one could pull double duty and have the Bot cover all the Twins years.
Priority: High





Yup, I'm still harping on about this Rangers logo. Only because all other versions of the Rangers are accounted for by the Bot.
Priority: Low




All other versions of the Astros are in the Bot. This is about as low priority as it gets for this list since the slightly altered version of this logo is covered, but this is just different enough to be noticeable.
Priority: Low





I really don't want to skip ahead in my perfect game series, but the Mike Witt entry is waiting on the correct logo.
Priority: High



Not only is this the only version of the Oakland A's that the Bot doesn't feature, but it's the version that won 3 straight World Series. How can this one be absent?
Priority: High




I'm already in the middle of a slow moving project to cover every Yankees champion team, but the dream to do every WS champion hinges incredibly on proper logos...and the first one is a roadblock since it's the Boston Americans team that the Bot refuses to think isn't the Red Sox. I mean, they eventually became the Red Sox, but in 1903 they weren't even red...
Priority: High





The Philadelphia A's logo for their entire history in the Bot is the same "A" logo. Why not recognize when the elephant (which has followed the franchise to KC, Oakland and probably Vegas as well) on some cards?
Priority: Low




As mentioned, the Athletics were in Kansas City between stays in Philadelphia and Oakland, and should have something to really show it.
Priority: Low



The St. Louis Browns have a great logo in the Bot, but this one not only goes back to the team's beginning, but also had a longer presence that the fleur that the Bot currently uses for every season the team existed.
Priority: High



Before the Expos moved south from Canada, there was another team in DC known as the Nationals. Someone tell that to the Bot, who seems to think the team was always known as the Senators. Like for the Boston Americans, this update should not only correct a proper logo, but also clear up mistaken identity for the team.
Priority: High



The Bot has a weird relationship with the Braves teams in history. That logo for the Braves is featured during their Milwaukee days, but not the original Atlanta days. The Bot uses a lower case "a" logo, which was never even an alternate version. Proper representation is the name of the game here.
Priority: High



I find it funny that the Bot covered a number of older and interesting logos for the Phillies, but not their current look.
Priority: High




A lot of Reds logos over the years are covered by the Bot, but the 1919 WS team should get some love.
Priority: High




I figured this logo for the Cubs would be an easy add. I was wrong. While even the slight tweaks to their logo have representation in the Bot, this classic from their 1900 days is still ignored.
Priority: High




This is such a cool logo for the Pirates, I hate how the Bot is making us settle for the plain yellow "P" logo while slick looks like this one are constantly ignored.
[Update] Yeah, that logo is floating around somewhere in the Bot, but in the wrong years. I don't know why it's available for 1909 but not for the proper 1987-1996 seasons it was in use.
Priority: High




This might be the most petty request on the list. All seasons of the Cardinals are safely covered...except 1998. It might have been a mistake by the franchise to have put out this look where the beak was made red, and that's why they corrected it a year later. If there was one suggestion to possible ignore and have me not even care, it would be this one. But at the same time, I think it be cool to point out for my above mentioned idea for strange logos.
Priority: Low




This is a small blip on the radar for the Brewers, but this was their look for a short while before their current logo was made. All other versions of the Brewers are already in the Bot.
Priority: Low





Just like the Yankees, the New York Giants didn't always have an interlocking NY logo. The 1905 champion team, for example, won with the above. But, if I'm gonna wait for the proper Boston Americans logo, I might as well wait for this one as well.
Priority: Low




The Diamondbacks just made this their look for 2024, so it's understandable why it's not updated...for now.
Priority: High




For one season, the Brooklyn Dodgers were green and not blue. I'd love to cover that season, but the Bot needs to know about it first.
Priority: Low





This logo for the Padres used to be in the Bot, and I have the Tony Gwynn cards to prove it. Restore the proper 80s Padres logo!
Priority: High




I will die on this hill. There were two versions of the Expos logo in their history. The Bot should recognize the early seasons of the Expos even if the logo wasn't altered by much. That being said, not like there were many notable teams for Montreal besides 1994...
[Update] So both logos are available, just depending on what card year you choose to utilize, which is annoying. Yeah, it's not a huge deal, but it's maddening at the same time.
Priority: Low



Another hill I'll die on. This is the version of the Braves that Babe Ruth ended his career with. I don't care if the later version looks way better, I demand it for Ruth!
Priority: High



When the Boston Braves became the Milwaukee Braves, they took this logo with them, but strangely the Bot doesn't think so. So while I can't stand the fact that this logo is all we get for the Boston Braves, I also can't stand that I don't get it for the Milwaukee Braves. Accuracy, damn it! Accuracy!
I told you I'm petty for some of these.
Priority: Low

[Last updated: September 2024]
All in all, I am very grateful for the logos and teams that Mr. Gula has featured on the Bot. There is bountiful potential with what is available now, but I also am tempted by the potential for more!