April Fools 2024

 


HONK!



Will the real Goose Gossage please stand up. Even with the correct picture, I don't know what's the bigger April fools: the future Hall of Fame Closer as a Starter, or the White Sox in shorts?


We just gonna ignore the year where Jeter got hooked on crack cocaine and was an absolute liability? Or did you believe the conspiracy theory that his "ankle" was injured and that's why the Yankees kept pulling him from the public eye?


The real Jeter from that nightmare 2013 season. The most un-Jeter season ever with terrible on-base, defense, speed and chart. This is like Jose Altuve without a buzzer bad. He came back next year to finish his career strong, but it doesn't change the fact that 2013 was a thing.


When you're a pitcher named homer and can give up a homer on your own chart, then you're in for a bad time.


This blog may not be meant for the most mature of audiences...this is a real man with a real name.


Don't judge a book by it's cover, yeah? Let's see you live that by tapping a rookie named WALK to start without frantically double checking his scouting report before he tosses the first pitch of the game.


Back in January, when I was creating Hall of Fame cards, I stumbled upon a situation that broke the algorithm. Christy Mathewson created an insane 1-17 strikeout pitcher card with the 3 true outcomes of strikeout, walk and homers only. I shared this "error" card with a facebook Showdown group (yes, I'm on a facebook group for a card game that hasn't existed for 20 years. There's a reason for the name of this blog) and Matt Gula himself saw it and decided to make corrections to the Bot.
So while I sometimes bring up situations here where I suspect Mr. Gula is aware of the things I do here, this Mathewson card is proof that I had a hand in making the Bot more accurate. So of course I needed to immortalize the error card.